All the cool blog names were taken, so my cats, Cooler and Fizler, lent their names. This blog is about our third or fourth mega-trip that Will and I have taken to Vermont every September since the year before Hurricane Katrina.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Here they come to save the day!!


There were an astounding number of bucket trucks and wood chippers going down I-40 yesterday in Tennessee. Every few miles, there would 10 or 12 more in a row. It took me a few sightings to realize they were heading down south to remove trees from power lines, etc. I took a picture through the bug-sprayed windshield.


I began to speculate that there must be government money involved to have so many--literally hundreds of them--available at a moment's notice. I know for a fact that the Siloam Springs Electric company has standing contracts with tree services for natural disasters, etc. I thought maybe some of those trucks were electric company trucks, but I didn't see any logos that made me think so. I saw lots of tree company logos, though. I suppose FEMA or the local electric companies in Texas and Louisiana already had contracts with many many companies. When the call goes out, I guess they drop everything and head out.

Sure would hate to be a homeowner with a tree down when that call came in.

~~~~~~~~~

The trip from Memphis to Black Mountain seemed very long. Memphis to Nashville seemed like a piece of cake. We stopped at Opry Mills Mall to have lunch and stretch our legs. Will got to go in the Gibson Showcase store and play a few several-thousand dollar guitars.

After you get to Knoxville, and as you approach North Carolina, I-40 gets very winding, the speed limit drops to 55, and the trucks have to stay in the right lane. It's a very good thing. That road is scary. None of the two or three tunnels are straight shot. You don't know when you see the tunnel how long it is and if there is anything happening in the tunnel you need to know about. The tops of big trucks appear to be scraping the ceiling in the arch of the tunnel. I did my best not to be passing any of them while I was in the tunnel.

But...it is OH SO HARD to go slow when you're sooooo close to your destination and you have just driven the long way across two whole states. I admit I did not go slow. I sped. Even though I have a warning ticket from the Johnson, AR, police department stuck in the sun visor to remind me not to. I was still safe, but I can't drive fifty-five!

1 comment:

GreenJello said...

Sounds like it's time for you to invest in a radar detector. I've seen 'em at Costco for a decent price! :)