All the cool blog names were taken, so my cats, Cooler and Fizler, lent their names. This blog is about our third or fourth mega-trip that Will and I have taken to Vermont every September since the year before Hurricane Katrina.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Is it paranoia or...?

Ever since Charles' truck was burgled in Detroit, I've been a little wary of leaving my car anywhere with stuff inside it.

Just last weekend in Little Rock, we stopped at McDonald's to use the bathroom. Will stayed in the car, trying to sleep. I left the car unlocked because I thought he might decide to get out and the alarm might go off if he opened the door from the inside if it was locked. So just as we were coming out, we saw these two men get in the car next to us and drive away. Will said that one of the men peered into the driver's window of the Element, and then reached his hand towards the door handle. Will thinks the guy saw his foot, or saw Charles coming out and that's why he didn't open the door. Will was pretty shook up. My wallet was lying there between the seats, but you couldn't see it from the window.

I know for one thing, I'm never not locking the door again.

Still, on this trip, I'll have a couple of bikes in the back, two laptops, cell phones, cameras, a guitar, maybe a ukulele, a pretty expensive skateboard, and lots of other stuff typical of what we take on a month long trip. Arkansas tags far away from home. I won't be parking in downtown Detroit like Charles did, but who knows where I'll be for sure?

I've been thinking of some way to cover the windows of the Element, just in the back, when I'm not in it. Even when I am in it, possibly sleeping while I'm camping by myself, it would be nice to cover the windows to change clothes, etc.

I thought of using the 3M picture hanging strips and some fabric and just drape it up back there. I tried it today, and the strips don't stay on the fabric well enough. The strips can soften up in temps over 105, too. It gets hot inside the car. Also, it seems like drapes would draw attention to the car that it wouldn't otherwise get.

Then I thought of just putting velcro dots on the windows themselves, and cutting up a vinyl tablecloth or some such to match the glass. I looked at vinyl tablecloths in Wal-Mart and they were so hideously ugly, I couldn't bear to buy one. I even looked at the Thanksgiving ones (THANKSGIVING! In AUGUST!)

I thought of window tinting--really dark. I looked at it at AutoZone and it wouldn't be too expensive. I just don't know how I'm going to like it. I don't know if it's legal. And I'll still have to come up with something for the front. It might also call attention to the car--or from cops, even worse! I can't be driving through PA and be stopped for too dark windows all the time! I'm going to look it up, though.

No comments: