All the cool blog names were taken, so my cats, Cooler and Fizler, lent their names. This blog is about our third or fourth mega-trip that Will and I have taken to Vermont every September since the year before Hurricane Katrina.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

An Aside

I know the whole point of NaBloPoMo is to get better at writing and blogging. I'm not using it for that. I'm using it to get in the habit of thinking about what I would say if I had my own forum, and then going on to say it.

This is why there were five comments that were awaiting moderation because I forgot that I even had comments on moderation. I apologize, y'all.

One of my problems with blogging is I come up with my best ideas when I'm driving. There's never any way to remember or remind myself what I was so passionate about while I was looking through the windshield. When I'm driving my big-ass truck, I keep a pen and pad in the convenient little area on the dash. What I write there is often subject to interpretation, because I'm usually hauling the oven, and bouncing all over the road. It is usually confined to things I forgot to bring to an event, like onions or change--both very critical in the pizza business. So, a pad is not really the best solution. I can talk to my phone, but it's a sad fact that I have plenty of notes in my phone naming books, articles or websites that I heard about on the radio...none of which I've ever read.

Another problem is I need large amounts of uninterrupted time to write like I used to do when I was younger. There are so many factors that contribute to not having those blocks of time. I make my own schedule, so I could do it. But I have to be in the right state of mind to write well, and focus on a subject the way I would l like to. So it's not like I can suddenly notice my afternoon is free and pump out a mind-blowing essay. I have to be in the mood. That's usually when I'm driving, or before bed.

But there's hope, Bored Friends. After today, no more boring blog posts. Now that the babies have gone home, I get to reboot everything, refocus my intentions, and start over. After I pick up the Legos. Tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sue said...

We are living a parallel life! Just Saturday, I was driving out to the campsite. I had read something online before I left. I really had LOTS to say about it, but what was I to do? I'll tell ya! I pulled over at the next Rest Area and wrote it out! Ron was like, "What took you so long to get here?" "ummm...you'll never believe me!" There was just no way I'd have ever remembered what I was thinking. AND, I'm like you, I have to strike while the iron's hot or it just doesn't seem to have the same Ooomph!.
Plus, our other parallel, is lots more time these days with kids out or gone.
I don't think you're boring at all. I thought of it as you getting back into your groove. You have to get some of the stuff said and out of the way first...then there's room to be creative!
I'm so happy we're doing this! Blog on! :)